Monday, October 19, 2009

As time passes...


One tends to forget to appreciate things like wedding anniversaries. There was a time when this was one of the year's highlights. But two dogs, two kids, and keeping up with the many facets of our home we tend to just let this one slide by. This year however, we didn't let that happen. Well at least J was kind enough to not let that happen. Lord knows last year I can't remember it at all since it was all one big blurrrrrr...the twins were only 4 months old. YIKES! What a hard time that was.

Anyhow, this year we decided to reacquaint ourselves with adults and be adventurous in what they call "going out." I vaguely remember something about this "out" business a long time ago when my bed time was sometime around dawn :) Apparently "going out" commences sometime around 10pm. I can't even imagine what that's like since I can't seem to stay up on my couch past 10pm.

And I probably shouldn't have indulged in something so DELICIOUS like this at 11pm at night...uughh.





Well here we are some very good friends having a warm dinner & adult conversation (no kid-talk involved) and after a yummy dinner we stayed for some dancing, something my feet were having a hard time remembering. I knew I would pay for this in the morning but well worth the sacrifice! Clearly this "out" thing is just like riding a bike. You can pick up right where you left off! It was a fun evening & it was good to commemorate how far we've come.

It was fun to remember my wedding day the mishaps, the memorable moments, and MY DRESS. Gosh how I looooved my dress. And, yes, I did put it on for old time sakes & happy to say that it STILL FIT :)....patting myself on the back for that one (and thank you Weight Watchers).


But really I remember our vows & our ceremony, how pretty everything & everyone was. And as marriage becomes more & more challenging with each passing year, it helps to remember the words spoken at that momentous occassion....

Nothing is easier than saying words and nothing harder than living them day after day. What you promise today must be renewed and redecided tomorrow. At the end of this ceremony legally you will be man and wife, but you still must decide each day that stretches out before you, that you want to be married.

Real love is something beyond the warmth and glow, the excitement and romance of being deeply in love. It is caring as much about the welfare and happiness of your marriage partner as about your own. But real love is not total absorption in each other; it is looking outward in the same direction --together.

Love makes burdens lighter, because you divide them. It makes joys more intense because you share them. It makes you stronger so you can reach out and become involved with life in ways you dared not risk alone.

This one's for you J.

Song: You Make me Feel Brand New
By: Simply Red

No comments: